Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Taking a dip in shark infested waters

After last week's falling knife and uncertainty in the market I know people are closing their eyes and plugging their ears.  I fortunately have been immune mostly to the noise as most of my investments are in retirement accounts and I've decided to play a hands off approach for the time being.

I've fooled around too much in my personal portfolio that I've seen the damage I've done due to irrational, emotional, impatience, and risky behavior. 

I owned NFLX and played around with it around $20-30 range.  It jumped to $60.  What do you do?  Not a bad return.  But it is near $300 today.  Who would have thunk it?

I was playing with LULU options around $60.  I sold it around $80.  It jumped to 100.  Then did a 2:1 split.  It's near back to $60 (or $120 pre-split). 

I owned APPL and fooled around with it $120-200 range.  It's now almost $400.  Did I keep any of these stocks? No.  because I liked to trade in and out, getting it while it's NOT and selling while it's HOT.  But I am realizing now that if it gets HOT, it gets REALLY HOT.

I guess it's kinda like dating.  I've been a stock slut for a long time.  Maybe not willing to make that commitment for the long term.

In any case, recent weeks have made stocks relatively cheap.  If you haven't been in the market in a while, I suggest you put a little bit of money in now.  Buy low, sell high.  That's the key.  I was fortunate to have balanced my portfolio before the crash.  And I just adjusted it again to take advantage of the drops.

But nothing is certain.  The sharks may still be in the water, taking a dip may mean you get eaten.  So don't put all your eggs in one basket.  But this is a good opportunity to test the waters if you haven't done so in a while.

With that, happy investing.

No comments:

Post a Comment