Tuesday, June 14, 2011

God's generosity

GENEROSITY
Just reminded today how rich we really are.  When it comes to money, we always look for more.  We compare net worth with others or compare salaries with other people.  The funny thing is we look at those who are above us. We want to be at the top of the pyramid.  But God continually reminds us in the scriptures that "blessed are the poor in spirit"; that His people are poor made rich... that Jesus, though he was rich became poor for our sake. We have been given every spiritual blessing...

How generous have you been with the money and wealth and resources God has given you?

It's easy to say, I've done well for myself... I got this college degree, I made this money, I'm working a good job. I did this all by myself. I've supported myself and no one has helped me...

THE LIFE YOU HAVE
But it's VERY hard to see that all of this depended on where we were born, who we were born to, the time period in which we were born... we might think we did this all by ourselves, but we forget that the opportunities we have came not out of our choice, but rather chance, or if you believe in a higher being, by the sovereign hand of God. We could have been born in a different time period, or instead of America, I could have been born in China... or some other country... or even to different parents.

But what if I was born in China... what if instead of competing with the 300 million people in the U.S. for jobs... I'm competing with 1.3 Billion people in China... what if instead of a country that desires life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, I was born to a country that desires pursuit of national pride and community rather than individual freedoms? Or born in South America... my friends from South America are more laid back, they know how to enjoy life and party, Asians are WAY too driven... but that's the only way we think to get ahead in life.

WHAT THE WORLD TELLS YOU
I was told to get 10x my salary for life insurance. I was told I needed $3 million for retirement. I was told I needed to own a house. I was told I needed a garage, I need at least 4 bedrooms. I was told I need 6 figure income. I was told I need more and more money so I can buy more and more stuff.

STATS
Do I? Is this what life is about? Half the world live on less than $2.50 a day.

80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day. (2005 stats)

WHY DO WE COMPLAIN?
Do you ever complain about AC, heating, toilet, shower... half the world poops in a hole in the ground.

We complain about our cars, our houses, our jobs, our food, our cell phone plans, we complain about internet speeds, we complain about the movies and television we watch, instant streaming too slow, not enough video games... 90%+ would give up what they have for our place in life. They deal with diseases that can be cured (if they had healthcare), wars, crime, corrupt government... poverty is not the exception... it is the norm for the world, we, living in an industrialized nation, are the exception.

BIG QUESTION
So the big question is: What will you do with the wealth and resources and riches God has generously given you? Will you spend it on yourself or will you be GENEROUS... as God has been generous to you?

My desire is to be generous. But I'm not. I'm stingy. I'm a complainer. I worry that I don't have enough. I worry my retirement isn't enough. I worry my children may not have enough.

God change my heart.

I'm the 46,279,569 richest person on earth!


Discover how rich you are! >>

No comments:

Post a Comment