Monday, August 23, 2010

Expense Report Aug 2010

Here's a quick update as to how we have been doing. The expenses are averaged over the past 20 months based on the data from MINT.COM

We are saving about 14% of income which is a nice number. I hope to increase that mainly through more productivity at work and some reduced spending at home. We'll see how that turns out.


We've been paying down the mortgage.  Though I'm rethinking that plan now.  Savings have been fairly consistent.  Our Auto/Gas includes repairs so that is a little bit higher than what we have budgeted.  I included traveling expense since that has been a big chunk of money over the 20 months.

ANALYSIS:
Our mortgage payments should decrease by about 12.5% ($100) with the elimination of PMI.  This means we could actually increase giving by 20% without hurting.

If we could decrease FOOD expense by 20% (about $56) we should be able to cover another family vacation for the next 20 months with no problem.  This comes at a good time when I am watching what I'm eating. :)

Misc shopping includes supplies, life insurance, medical expense, household items, etc.  I don't think we need to touch that.  We'll hold it steady at 5%.

That's it for now.  We'll see what a budget can do for us. At least a general one.  I know my personality and my wife's personality.  I like to detail every line item.  She likes a general plan and go from there.  Well, I guess we've compromised enough and understand each other's strengths and weaknesses to compensate.

MEANING=at least we won't fight for another month. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment