Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How Much Have You Made Over Your Lifetime?

How much have you made over your lifetime?

In college I worked for two summers at the World Bank as a temp doing administrative assistant work making about $10/hour. It came out to be about $2500 each summer.

My first post-college job from 1999 to 2001 I averaged about $46,000 a year. My starting salary was $39k + 7k signing bonus.

From 2002-2003 I worked part time for about $2k teaching (yeah, hard work and bad hours in China).
In 2004-2005, I worked for FDIC when I was working on my masters for about half a year at a salary of $35k.

During the 2005-2006 school year I made $45k as a first year middle school math teacher. After being told I was being laid off at the end of the year as a teacher I put my resume on Careerbuilder.com in early April. One employer found me. I was offered a starting salary of $55,000 to start in May. This put me in a slight predicament since I was still teaching at that time. I couldn't jump ship in my final quarter of teaching, but oh, was I tempted...

So I actually told this employer that I couldn't start until June, but changed that to August since I had some things to take care of during the summer including a short term service project with our church Youth Group and another honeymoon to Hawaii with my wife (our first one we spent a weekend in Baltimore... how romantic). We didn't hear from them all summer. To make matters even more hairy, after the Hawaii trip we found out we were expecting child #1.

And as providential as it was, in late July I receive a Priority package in the mail. It was a contract offering me a signing bonus for four years totaling almost $40k. So alongside my regular salary, I was offered almost $10k each year for four years. This was confirmation that waiting was the best decision I had made in a while. (Although I was also offered another teaching position, I really wanted to become a better teacher... this was offer was too good to pass up).

So over these past four years my salary has increased from $55k to $75k. Averaging over that time around $67k + $10k bonus.

So over these past 15 years I have made nearly: $386k.

How much have I saved/invested over that time? That's a different story.

1 comment:

  1. How much have you made over your lifetime?
    Since I first paid into Social Security 1965? In inflation adjusted dollars about 3 million.

    ReplyDelete